Books & Boys Book Blog

B&B Style

B&B Promotions

Review : Heartbreaker by Kat Bastion with Stone Bastion


** ARC provided by the author for an honest review ** 

Heartbreaker by Kat Bastion with Sloan Bastion was a 4 star read for me.  Kiki and Darren with Logan grabbed my attention.  The book started out a bit slow but the more I read the more I enjoyed it. It was a sweet, emotional read.

Kiki is an industrial artist who has had a crappy past relationship that taints how she moves forward. She doesn't want relationships, only one-night stands.  She has a great family who loves her and has her back but she has a hard time letting others in.

Darren is a musician/DJ/College student/Guardian.  With all of that who wants a relationship?  He believes he doesn't deserve to be happy so he does what he has to do to make everyone else happy.  He struggles and it is felt throughout the book.  I was more connected to Darren than I was to Kiki.  He went through a terrible hardship and he is still fighting to come out on top.

Logan is Darren's 16 yr old sister.  I believe this young girl showed Kiki and Darren how to truly live and love even though she fights through her own darkness.  The relationship between Logan and Darren was so stinkin sweet.  I loved how they were with each other and you could almost feel the love they have for one another.  

Kiki and Darren for me was an odd pairing, but I sat back and thought about really how similar they really were.  They both had pasts, both guarded themselves, and they did what they thought was right, even though it wasn't.  Even with all that said, I still enjoyed them together .... I mean who else can make me enjoy Almond butter and apricot preserves like the two of them?  LOL  Or even when they were arguing over if Kiki was being stubborn or just plain stupid, I laughed so hard at that.  It was all the small things that made me enjoy them as a couple.  

There was a time I wanted to punch Darren but I understood why he did what he did.  Logan stole the show for me.  For being only 16 she was so mature and gave out the best advice and the things she was going through made me tear up.  I enjoyed the ending and it showed how much Darren and Kiki had grown out of their own little boxes and let others in.  

REVIEWED BY : Jennifer A.