Books & Boys Book Blog

B&B Style

B&B Promotions

Review : This Old Heart of Mine by A.J. Compton


***ARC provided in exchange for an honest review***

This Old Heart of Mine by A.J. Compton is a stellar book full of emotion pouring off every page .  I had not read anything previously by this author , but this book changed that for me .  I will be recommending this author and this book to everyone ! 

It is a coming of age and self discovery book packed full of beautifully written characters .  This is a 'must read' book of 2016 !  I hope to see this one made into a movie .  Yeah , it is that good ! The sign of a brilliant writer , to me , is if they can make me feel every thing like the characters .  A.J. Compton not only accomplishes this , she hits it out of the park ! I found myself turning page after page without being able to set it down .  I may have missed a few meals and family outings for this book .

Ava is a young woman that has been on the heart transplant list since she took her first breath as she suffered from congenital heart disease . She never truly had a chance at a normal childhood . Normal for her meant being constantly in and out of the hospital .  

It's during one of these stays that she meets her best friend Finn .  They share such a unique friendship and bond like no other . He is always there for her as she is for him .  

As Ava lay days away from death , her prayers are answered .  She receives a new heart .  She is given a second chance at life ! 

We are then taken on a journey of self discovery as Ava begins to really live life for the first time ever . Her best friend Finn is by her side as she starts to experience all life has to offer .   She experiences new foods , having a job , first love , absolutely everything .  And it is beautiful !

Ava meets and falls in love with a poet named Gabriel .  This book has such beautiful poetry throughout . It is flawlessly incorporated into the book in a way I have not seen before .  

Ava also finds out more about the person whose heart she now has .  It is beautifully tragic as you know one person had to pass in order for Ava to receive her new heart and live the life she has only dreamt about .

This book is written on so many different levels , it is hard to express in a review how fabulous it is . It's like when you discover a delicious new food and different flavors keep hitting your tongue and you can't get enough .  That is how this book is for me .  I keep experiencing different levels of emotions . 

This Old Heart of Mine has really had me reflecting about my own life and love . They are so precious and something most of us take for granted everyday . I am so glad to have received this book to review .  It's not often a book hits me this hard .  I can't wait to read more by this author ! She is definitely one to watch ! Book hangover status : comatose .

5 Stars

Reviewed by : Jennifer M.