Books & Boys Book Blog

B&B Style

B&B Promotions

Review : Knot by M. Mabie


Knot (Wake Family, #1)


***ARC PROVIDED BY AUTHOR FOR AN HONEST REVIEW***

‘Knot’ by M. Mabie is a bit harder for me to review and I don’t really know why. I found myself sitting down multiple times to write this and just couldn’t quite express how I felt about this book. First off let me say that for me it is a 5 star read and the next bit is the tricky bit.

If you have read the ‘wake series’ books then you will be aware of Reagan and Nora and will be thrilled to get to read their story. This book was a unlike most romances you’ll read in the way that it is written. The book jumps from past to present and is told through both perspectives. I love to read from both characters as it allows you to truly get an understanding of the struggles that they both have and what they truly feel inside.

Nora and Reagan don’t have a conventional relationship from the get go. Nora very unlike her usual self openly admits to a stranger that has been eyeing her up all night that she doesn’t do monogamous relationships and is more interested in having multiple lovers and at the same time. For Reagan he tries to tell himself that he isn’t interested in her then as he should be focusing on settling down to tow the line with what his superiors want but only if his heart and body would listen to him things might have been different.

Reagan pursues Nora that first and for quite a while after. Telling himself that he could be her friend and that he only wanted to know more about her lifestyle unfortunately that isn’t quite true. Nora has never been interested in a monogamous relationship and feels more comfortable in the polyamorous relationships she has instead. However, Reagan isn’t like anyone else and the more she knows the more she wants to even if she does try to fight it.

“I knew there’d never be a minute left in my life where I didn’t feel the ache of her. Her absence, the source of blinding tension. The sharp pulse of a love ripped from me before I had a chance to watch it mature. That was all that was left to me. Zero and the knot.”

The relationship between Nora and Reagan is fraught with complications and complex issues that they might not be able to get over. To be honest when reading it I felt that I wasn’t sure if they were right for each other or if they would make it. The way that the story unfolds reverting from past to present and back again allows you to understand the hurt that they caused each other and why they can’t get over it at times and makes it feel that the hurt has just been caused.

“Our relationship was a dream I’d never wake up from. Sometimes it felt like a fantasy. Sometimes a nightmare.”

I loved this story and the writing. Both the characters are strong, deep and flawed individuals but their biggest issue is that they both crave to be in charge. I wasn’t sure I was going to like Nora after the reading the first few pages but I did and ended up really feeling for her. Reagan and Nora lack communication and timing which is extremely frustrating and you are practically shouting at the two of them to open up and admit what they feel but then if they did it wouldn’t be the story it was. I absolutely recommend this book and couldn’t say enough about the talent that is M. Mabie.

Reviewed by Louise G.