Books & Boys Book Blog

B&B Style

B&B Promotions

Review : Ball Peen Hammer by Lauren Rowe




***ARC PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR IN EXCHANGE FOR AND HONEST REVIEW***


Ok I am not sure where to start with this review, it was so different from what I was expecting. I utterly loved this book. ‘Ball Peen Hammer’ deserves the full 5 stars and more. Lauren Rowe has written a winner with this new standalone but to be honest I wish there was more of it because it was that good.


From the opening few pages I knew I was going to enjoy this book but just not as much as I did. Maddy has to travel to LA before she is due to start College there and she is keen to drive as she wants to have her car with her so decides to take the few days drive to LA. Worried about her being in the car alone Maddy’s sister Hannah manages to set it up that she is joined by a traveling companion for the drive. Reluctantly agreeing to allow some stranger to tag along Maddy has no idea what she is in for.


Keane Morgan is a male stripper known by the name Ball Peen Hammer, probably one of the best and he has been offered an open ended invitation to interview for a large talent agent in LA. Asked by his big brother Dax to do him a favour and accompany some girl to LA he doesn't have much choice but to do it and it will mean he gets to showcase his talent at a club where there is a stripper talent call. One stipulation his brother has is that Maddy Milliken is off limits and he has to promise not to sleep with her to which Keane agrees.


Full of cockiness and well eared arrogance Keane is no slouch in the women department with the look of an adonis and the charm to match, women tend to throw themselves at him. Quite a novelty for him though is the fact that Maddy doesn’t seem to drool all over him like other women do, she seems some what immune to his moves and charm. Spending time with Maddy throughout the journey gives them the chance to get to know one another and talk resulting in him forming quite the friendship with Maddy. They chat about everything including his sexual prowess and magnetism along with Maddy’s lack of it.


“So what’s my secret? Okay, I’ll tell you, but only ‘cause you’re pretty and sweet: I’m awesome at sex and women can smell it on me.”


Maddy is usually quite quiet and introverted tending not to open up to people but with Keane she cant seem to stop herself from talking. She is not sure why this is but she cant stop opening up to Keane and she finds she doesn't really want to. It didn't take long before they were enjoying each others company. Both however have their own reservations for taking things further.


“She sighs deeply. ‘I don't wanna screw this up, either - whatever it is. You're totally right: I’m not a friends with benefits’ kind of girl. When I give my body to someone, I can’t help giving my heart, too.”


This book was hysterical in places having me laughing out loud on many occasions or having a smile almost constantly plastered on my face. Not only were Maddy and Keane great characters but the whole cast of characters were funny and well written. Keane’s best friend Zander (his wifey) was especially funny, the bromance between the two being a highlight of the book and to be honest would probably be quite entertained just reading a book about them. Keane was sexy as hell but also quite adorbsicles (my new favourite word) and the attraction between him and Maddy was lovely to watch growing as you read. A brilliant enjoyable and funny read with a touching friends to lovers romance that grows quickly over a road trip. Definitely give this book a try, you won’t be disappointed.



Reviewed by Louise G.