Books & Boys Book Blog

B&B Style

B&B Promotions

Review : The Gun Runner by Scott Hildreth


***ARC Provided by the Author for an Honest Review***

The Gun Runner by Scott Hildreth is a first for me from this author and I can’t deny that initially I was really intrigued by what I had read in the blurb. 

This particular review has been a difficult one for me to write as I loved the storyline and concept, but not the predictability. I wanted to try and show my love for what Scott had created, but at the same time I needed to express my disappointment without being critical. 

After search out the reviews on his other books, I was excited to start this book. I have read awesome things about Scott Hildreth’s writing, and was really keen to dive into his latest instalment.

When I started reading I was introduced to Michael Tripp, an ex-marine who was now a gun runner. Everything about his character oozed the sex appeal I was searching for and Scott’s description of him and his story was fantastic. I will give Scott credit, he really knows how to write.

I loved the vulnerability side of Michael and his resistance to getting involved with Terra. Also, his self-imposed sex ban made me smile as it gave his character a side that most women only dream about with their partners. 

Falling in lust with the male lead character is a pre-requisite isn’t it? Especially if you are trying to draw your readers in by making your characters lovable, and realistic. 

As much as I loved Michael’s character, Terra’s was a bit too much for me. Don’t get me wrong, I believed I got what Scott was trying to portray with Terra’s character. She is the daughter of a Mafia Godfather and a trust fund baby. A girl spoilt to the point where she is, in my eyes, high maintenance. Girls like that I don’t relate to under normal circumstances so I really did struggle with Terra. What also annoyed me was her double standards. Therefore, like I said I definitely got where Scott was trying to go with Terra’s character. 

Overall it is a wonderfully written story of love. You felt Terra’s internal struggle over what Michael’s work entails, but I felt Scott held back. I believed it just needed something a little different to make it stand out and really pull me in.  After saying that, I will be reading the next instalment because I am definitely intrigued to find out what happens with Terra’s secret comes to light…….. 

You will understand my double standard comment when you reach the end of The Gun Runner.
Although it wasn’t quite for me, I have no doubt there will be a large majority of readers that will love this story and I have no problem recommending. 

This is a four star read for me.

Reviewed by Stacey J