Books & Boys Book Blog

B&B Style

B&B Promotions

Review : Ramping Up by Zoe Dawson


***ARC Provided by the Author for an Honest Review***

Recently I was given Ramping up – Mavrick Allstars #1 by Zoe Dawson to review on and found it a refreshing read.

I am not normally a sporting novel follower but have found a couple of late that have me leaning a little more in that direction.

In Ramping Up, I met Gunner Smith, a professional surfer who wasn’t expecting to find fame as a skateboarder. Gunner used skateboarding as a release from the pressures of having to deal with an alcoholic father who may have been his coach, but was very abusive and controlling. He was also looking to get away from the lies and manipulation of his manager.

When he meets Helena ‘Lena’ Maverick, a girl trying to prove herself in her father’s sporting agency, he isn’t looking to become professional again. 

Helena is a girl trying to show her father she is as good as the men, but she never counted on falling for her client. The attraction and chemistry between her and Gunner is evident, but forbidden. The affair they start, that they try to hide leads into a beautiful love story.

The fight to get away from the embarrassment caused by Gunner’s father proves to be a challenge and we get a real life feel to the struggles of a troubled boy.

What I enjoyed about this storyline, although it’s not normally what I would read, is how detailed and well thought out it is. There is enough detail to keep you interested in finishing it, without being overloaded with too much information.

I can’t deny that the sex scenes were well worth the read as well.

It really is a great story and one I am happy to recommend.

This is a four star read for me.

Reviewed by Stacey J