Books & Boys Book Blog

B&B Style

B&B Promotions

Review : Ruin by Clarissa Wild



***ARC received from the author in exchange for an honest review***

Ruin by Clarissa Wild is so powerful in the messages and emotions it is conveying, I have to give it a solid 4.5 stars. I found myself not wanting to put this book down. I laughed and cried with the story. The characters are very relatable and I found myself able to picture everything so vividly. 

We are introduced to Maybell Fairweather, a young dancer trying to make a career out of dancing professionally. Audition after brutal audition. The rejection that comes from trying your very best and it still isn't good enough to land a spot dancing professionally. You feel the emotions as if you were finding out you didn't make whatever you've auditioned. The pressure she feels to be perfect for her parents and not let them down. She goes to the library and just relaxes by reading. What happens next will forever change her life. A distracted moment driving, a person stepping in front of her and she crashes her car, shattering her leg. 

Maybell spends a long time in the hospital and we see the friendship between her a hospital volunteer Alexander Wright. We find out that Alex has had a crush on Maybell since high school. Alex is someone you are rooting for from the start. 

We see their friendship blossom into love and it is beautiful and awkward. Everything that comes with first love. Maybell tries to be strong for everyone around her. 


Alexander   :  Tears run down her cheeks as her hands roam my back, growing tighter as they move. She just needs to hold me and cry for a moment. I know she doesn’t want me or anyone else to see it, but sometimes, you just have to show your weakness in order to become strong again.


This paragraph in the book really touched me. It is so true and the way Ms. Wild incorporated this into the story line is superb. Maybell has Asperger's and has made her the target of bullying because she is quirky and different. Alex was also bullied but that, coupled with his home life, has him depressed. The story had a twist I didn't see coming. 

This is a beautiful story that has ups and downs, funny moments and is just an all around great book. It is based on a true story. Ruin is told in dual POV and alternating between before and after the accident. She executes this flawlessly. I love Clarissa Wild's writing style and this is no exception. Ms. Wild has a gift for drawing you into the story and not letting go. I sat with tears streaming down my face as I finished. I would recommend this book to anyone. 

4.5 Stars


Reviewed by : Jennifer M.